Saturday, January 29, 2011

Imitosis

In the spirit of hating myself for writing unreadable, uninterestingly long posts about nothing every four days and declaring myself completely vapid and silly and unfathomably uncool to the blog 'verse because of it(and being stupid and impressionable), I'm doing a short post today.

actually, it's more of a song post. bear with me, please.




I found this a couple days ago and I have since swooned and obsessed and musicgasm'd over it repeatedly. look past the indie rock facade if you must--the combination of classically-trained string musician, synthesizer, mumbling, messy hair, and the five o'clock shadow. there are people out there far more guilty of it than he. and I will admit, the melody or anything isn't AWFUL, and that random drum beat thing is rather Neutral Milk Hotel, which most people would agree is a good thing.

anyway, today I realised the lyrics matter more than the music to me in general. and here is where Andrew Bird shines.

"And despite what all his studies had shown/what was mistakes for closeness/was just a case for mitosis/weighed deception or mercy/ while others train for the show/...'cause he just wants to know the reason why/the reason why"

"his keeping busier as bitter storms/his imaginations and his palindromes"

"Poor proffesor Pynchon/had only good intentions/when he put his Bunsen Burners all the way/and turned into a playground a Petri dish/of single cells/would swing their firsts/at anything that looks like easy pray"

These are but to name a few, though there aren't too many lyrics in the song.


Anything who mentions mitosis(he later goes on about osmosis, too) in a freaking pop song wins seriously huge amounts of cool points from me. as does anyone who can relate a function of cell division to a function of human emotion too, I have a not inconsiderable deal of respect for.

in general I think the idea of the thing is pretty damn amazing. It's basically kinda fighting back to the idea of quantifying emotion, in particular love, to preexisting notions of biology and science. It's been talked about lightly, but I've never seen anyone tackle this in a song before, obviously. It's amazing how anyone would think to do that, to me. It's leads to some really interesting thoughts, too--I kinda get hear this a lot, reading Dawkins and Hitchins and that whole crowd as is kinda a 'thing' at the moment, and has been for some time. And I do agree with Mr. Bird for the most part. For all of my love and appreciation and utmost respect for the sciences and for said sciency-atheist people, there has to come a limit with what some people are trying to do. What's more interesting is FINDING that limit, of course, which is something which deserves my interest and research in the near future. And what's more interesting still is that point at which this lust for knowledge of the human psyche is almost detrimental("it was anything but here the voice/anything but hear the voice/it was anything but hear the voice/ that says that we're all basically alone") to a person and whether this interest is better left alone.

and all the hipsters thought the Decemberists and Arcade Fire are making 'statements", right? Pfft, as if.

just thought you should know. The alternative title of this post is "Wooly, Childish Pretentious Explanations Of Pop Songs; Post #1. now, time to scuttle off and write two mini essays. good night. :D

No comments:

Post a Comment