Tuesday, February 1, 2011

ten things from the past few days

#1.) I have an impending obsession. When I mention 'obsession' it normally involves joining some sort of cult that worships British comedians, mockumentaries, or the world's greatest BBC-engineered one-liners ever. does the obsession fit this pattern? why yes! and it is called The Thick Of It. Brits may or may not have heard of it, it's not super super population but it's not unheard of. Very Peep Show level, yeah. I myself discovered it in my parents' DVD collection, where most good televisual things are found by me. my dad got a Boxset quite recently. It's basically a deadpan kinda mockumentary thing based around low-level politicians. I've only watched a couple so far but it is really, really, really funny. I mean, I'm pretty certain at least half of the political cultural references are going right over my head, but the one-liners are fantastic and I just could not stop laughing. plus, in my history, anything co-written by Jesse Armstrong turns into TV obsession for me. the only sad thing is, I can name basically every actor in that show, one way or another. the UK comedy show circuit isn't huge, anything but, but that's still shows I invest too much time into these things.

#2.) While we're on the topic of mockumentaries, I intend to spend the remainder of winter trying to 'get into' the Father Of All Mockumentaries. Also known as The Office. I know, I'm weird I don't watch it already. either the UK one or the US one. here's a little known fact around here; the UK one came first. I'm spreading this knowledge. I intend to try both. I heard the US one is surprisingly good for a country who don't really do spin off series very well, as history goes. this is the plan.

#3.) February is Peter Doherty Appreciation Month(for me). while the snow piles up and the mid-winter gloominess is at its height, I skulk around my house, wanting knee-length worn-out jackets & trilbys, writing lyrics to Last Of The English Roses over available bare skin during class, and singing along to Fuck Forever when my parents aren't around. it suddenly makes it the best month of the year. like I mentioned last time, the Libertines just got added to V's rumour list? Like, I literally wouldn't be able to handle that level of awesomeness. although I will probs get used to it after the awesomeness that will hopefully by February. ps, I will get at least one oversized androgynous cheap jacket some time soon.

#4.) Tumblr is a godsend. especially those 'fuckyeah' things. like, I know nothing of this site, other than it can provide me with flashy Peep Show things with quotes on them and their are 128 pages of pure David Mitchell-ness. I started my own account, though my total social networking world must reach a limit soon, and I doubt I'll be able to get my head around the website anyway.

#5.) Snow days never ever get bad. ever. like, ours just got announced a few hours ago, hence my writing to you, and we're gonna get up to two feet apparently. I don't care about June. no one wants to do anything in June, teachers included. I'm glad for a snow day. no one else is. bah. I wanna watch Fried Green Tomatoes and play crappy Playstation games and do fuck all. it's fun. I hope for more.

#6.) Out of all the 'arts' teachers in the world, the teachers at my school are the least capable of showing emotion ever. i swear to god my english teacher is a robot. actually, her most common label is 'bitch' but to qualify for that some sense of anger has to be involved, you know? nope. none at all. just a drone. 'write down some vocab, read the story, pass in your homework, or you wrote a three-page letter that took you an hour and a half and you could barely keep your eyes open, okay'. WHAT?! Ditto art teachers. fuck, perspective isn't that hard, it doesn't take 3/4 of the block. and when he wasn't doing that, we were told to be creative with our portfolio folders. creativity is hardly a prominent trait of mine, particular not at eight oclock in the morning. the latter is true for everyone I think. the classroom was awash with soccer balls and pastel-colored bubble writing. he went around kinda nodding at everyone. didn't even pass comment on Little Miss Art Prodigy(who sits opposite me)'s work. nor did he comment on my garish swirls and dots and faded green marker, though that is to be expected.

#6.) the likelihood of finding cool people in my classes are remarkably slim. there's like two girls in my art class I know a bit and they aren't amazing friends. science I know almost everyone one way or another. world civ, everyone hates everyone and the teacher doesn't want to be there cause no one does. english kinda meh. though my expectations are low, that much is obvious.

#6.) 1st health class proves the class probably won't suck. there's a few cool people and it's a tiny class(not even 20 kids I think?) that's kinda shoves somewhere n the math corridor. teacher seems nice. ratemyteacher agrees. it's kinda ugh 1st block of the day. we're doing 'all about us' posters Friday which will be a bore.

#7.) # of teachers who know I'm English- 2/5. that's a fairly good number at this point in time. my english class know, I think. i spoke and they stared for like five minutes, which is normally a telltale sign. it seems petty but it's good to get it out of the way as fast as possible. I hate everyone's moment of realization. growl. it's difficult for anyone to understand this at all 'specially round here, so moving on.

#8.) I will surely collapse entirely under the semester's workload. five hours plus piano plus food plus procrastination yesterday equals my certain death. i cannot continue like this. I may die. I may never see you again, internet.

#9.) Today begins the great Harry Potter reread. I never really got through 1 and 2(too young I guess) and 3 was a bit of a blur. 4-7 I like. at the rate school has made me read lately this is probably my entire literary universe until June, too.

#10.) La Roux is amazing and I will surely die(sorry, should stop with this phrase) if I don't get their album very soon. I've listened to I'm not Your Toy all day. then I listened to a lot of Goldfrapp which was the icing in the synthpop cake. then a lot of janis ian(thank you Tavi Gevinson) which made things unbalanced. that is my music life. oh, except the TV people finally put a V Festival hilights vid up. and they didn't get the prodigy yet? what the fuck? That was like the best time of my life, ever. literally. They began and ended with KoL. and they didn't show Closer. nor did they show Kasabian's Fire, they chose the wrong Skunk Anansie song, they did no Madness at all, Munich isn't a terribly good Editors song, Plan B didn't get his slot, and the fact that they made no attempt to shove an Ellie Goulding thing in there somewhere was nothing short of shocking. good thing is, only a few weeks till 2011's lineup and I'm crazy excited. arctic Monkeys + eminem to headline. rumors-rem, beady eye, coldplay, muse, jessie j, amy winehouse, Pulp. would pay to see everyone except beady eye and coldplay, so good.

good night everyone. hope you have a snow day too. :D

1 comment:

  1. I see from your profile that you are interested in England! Have you checked out my blog yet?

    http://picturebritain.com/

    Every day I post photographs of glorious vistas, charming close-ups, videos, recipes, and interesting tidbits of life in Great Britain for the pleasure of Anglophiles and photo-enthusiasts everywhere!


    P.S. Yes, we've had an awesome snow day, great sledding!

    ReplyDelete