Friday, February 18, 2011

about a year ago, I typed 'Babyshambles' into youtube's searchbar

...Sad as it is, I haven't been quite the same since.

I can't help, somehow, to look back at what is ordinarily my most dreaded time of the year(February) with an unusual fondness, when it comes to last year's. the darkness, the snow, looking after my neighbor's cats while they were on vacation. and of course, Arena documentaries, red new romance jackets, 'blood art', flights of lyrical fancy, and stories of drug-induced escapades through the decaying streets of England.(not sure what I'm talking about). point is, that was last year's February vacation. and today starts this year's February vacation. at last. and I'm getting really unnecessarily nostalgic for no reason whatsoever.

from one musician of questionable sanity to another, my current week-long obsession is TOM MILSOM. See the last post. Over the course of the last few stress-filled days, my head decided it be necessary that I watch every single hexachordal video...over...and over...and over again. my conclusion? the guy needs to make more videos. loads more. through two years of watching Alex&Charlie and the occasional Tom video, I don't know why it took me so long to realize how absolutely brilliant he is. I do that a lot. But Tom, just WOW. I wish i was him, or knew him, or something. honestly, he's so cool and I love everything about him(creepy? yessum.). everything from 'woah, he can play like twenty different instruments' to 'he uses words in clever ways' to 'jesus christ, I love his blue hair'. also, he introduced me to Tom Bacon, Max Tundra, and 20th century classical. he will be the sound of the next nine days. it's an obsession.

Since that somehow didn't accurately express my enthusiasm for this, let me reiterate by saying TOM MILSOM MARRY ME MARRY ME MARRY ME LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE FUCKING LOVE. there.

another thing, is his 8-Bit version of All My Little Words by the Magnetic Fields great or what? A.) This is the only 8-Bit music that I can tolerate so far in my life. up until I saw this video, I wouldn't have known to call it 8-Bit. where does that title come from? the 8 and the Bit, what's that all about? unless it's explained to me by a skinny, neurotic English boy with crooked teeth and it's played on a ukulele, I have no intention of finding out. B.) It's lame to admit this, but I'd never really given the Magnetic Fields much of a go before...shameful, right? I like All My Little Words(but I could never make you stay//not for all the tea in China//not if I could sing like a bird//not for all North Carolina//not for all my little words). hey, if you like this level of tweeness in your lyrics, like I do, then I'd highly recommend them.

And also I got into PJ Harvey far, far too late, meaning about a fortnight ago when the video for The Words That Maketh Murder came out. SO, SO GOOD. Sea of Bees are my latest cutetronica* guilty pleasure, and Emika is fun to listen to. why do I like so much electronic stuff lately? what ever happened to guitars? why is Do It Like A Dude so ridiculously better than Price Tag in every way possible?

After my all-things-Doherty phase, I went through a bit of a dry spell last year regarding listening to music. I just never worked up the motivation to go looking, y'know? it was strange. It was only really revitalized with spring. I don't know why my interest in music is remaining normal, if not more exaggerated than normal, so far this winter. It's amazing and I hope it stays that way.

this week, I worked on a history project that i did far too much work on. I mentioned this before, but I did a project comparing someone from the Muslim empire and from the European renaissance. very, very interesting when it comes down to it. al-Farabi was a wonderful find--at least my teacher seemed impressed, what with the more than 100 books and speaking 70 languages(woah.) and all that. I can't find Nicholas of Cusa's On Learned Ignorance anywhere but I want to read it so badly. I've been barely reading at all lately, it's annoying and sad and horrible. Anyway, I went so vastly over the top with this silly project, that I started doing homework at 3:30 yesterday and ended about eleven hours later. that includes food etc., but STILL. I better be getting an A or I will NOT be pleased. I have not had a life since sunday...

when I saw True Grit which was absolutely astonishingly wonderful. it's interesting how this movie, with scenes such as a man's fingers being cut off with a knife and left in pieces on a wooden table, get the movie a PG-13 rating...while one not-even-that-bad girl-on-girl sex scene--Black Swan, obviously--and it's R. what? people are weird. I envy the leading actress in True Grit, whoever that is, I don't know, I don't know anything about actors. or movies. it was great, though. My mom got me the original True Grit on DVD a few days ago, as well as the soundtrack from the most recent Sherlock Holmes movie(with Robert Downey jr, I guess is the only other way I can specify) which I absolutely adored from the first time I saw it. it's different. reminiscent of that Oliver Twist movie that got bad reviews, I think? but better. it's kasabian stripped of electronics, boosted in gypsy weirdness. I could listen to it all the time.

do I ever talk about anything that doesn't have a melody?

I failed an English essay, probably, because the class is disappointing and so infested with textbook grammar. same with a science test, since studying never fitted into my schedule and I can never keep my eyes open at that time anyway. I take longer than I need to in art. In health, one realizes there is still stigma about suicide and depression--our current topic--and it's horrible. I want more magazines and I need to wear my black 'army' boots more. I would sell my soul to get a place in Camrbride(I don't know why I said most of that).

anyway, a week off, time to sleep. night for now.

*I totally made that up....I'm a word play master, right?

No comments:

Post a Comment