Saturday, October 2, 2010

October.

Hello world.



Blink and you miss September. At least that's the lesson I learned this year. Why is it October already? Goodness knows. I certainly don't.



I know it's a weird thing to start thinking on October 2nd, but I miss summer. I haven't really had time to think about that yet because every thing's been so chaotic getting used to a new school and all the work and everything, and it's only just now that the revelation is dawning that I miss summer. I do miss England. You will hear me say that a billion and one times and I'm sorry, I just do. I miss when you walk outside and you're just kinda hit with the heat. You can wear shorts. God I hate having to wear jeans and yeah I don't care if that sounds odd. all the memories from the summer and now I have to wake up at six every morning and I'm not done with work until like seven. Wow, it's a change.



Everybody knows autumn's fun because it's atmospheric in the most hipster-like sort of way. In that "ooh, look at the leaves, let's listen to some rubbish folk music" sorta way. And I like that, of course. It's worth mentioning how vital music was to me last autumn. Time to bring out the Joanna Newsom, Macabees, Pains of Being Pure At Heart. Sadly NME-hyped music at the moment is less Mumford more Tinie so whatevs, there goes that. I had a really great October last year, easily the best school month of the year. I just worry it won't be as great this year, as weird as that sounds. Although I've still got apple picking, Halloween, halloween parties, this theme park I'm going to, Florence, walks, et cetera to look forward to so it should work it fine.

However, this year I probably won't end up on a Saturday afternoon being fitted by my mom for a Brandon fFowers halloween costume while singing Madness songs. "Gts", as those annoying people say.

Had a good day. My guitar teacher cancelled so I had a slow morning and then in the afternoon there was this sort of party down one of the little roads/drives/whatever near where I live. You know, small roads. I love those sorts of social things(says the confused shy introvert). there was supposed to be like seventy people there but it was more like fifty and the majority of people were either over 40 years old or under 5 years old so I was pretty stuck. The weather stayed nice for most of the afternoon and I basically just hung around being awkward while my parents talked to people. it was nice seeing all the neighbors again. Great for the young kids, too. My sister painted a pumpkin. Everyone was talking about me in high school. They had a lot of food out, all autumn-themed if you can call it that, and I basically just ate far too many cookies and brownies and stuff. there was an ice cream van. Your classic blissful October day. when it got cold someone had a thing to light a fire and we all sat around it with beach chairs. It was really very awesome. Heres to October days.

Tomorrow will mostly be homework. I'm getting more into the habit of doing some weekend homework on Fridays and Saturdays which is good. The load isn't so bad this weekend. I need to get my head around some math, learn some Spanish stuff, finish a lab and answer some questions for Science. it's do-able. I'm probably also gonna hunt down The Suburbs. I'm getting the urge to do a sort of "Arcade Fire Are So Overrated!" ramble somewhere but I need to give the album an actual listen first.

Oh yeah, we got progress reports yesterday, except I didn't get my Spanish one for some reason. But A- on Geometry and Science which I suppose is pretty accurate, if not a little too good. I also found out I got a 65% on a math test. That's a D, ladies and gentlemen. I do not understand proofs and I never will.

I can't believe I haven't blogged the whole school week. Mostly things went well. Felt pestered by the universe half the time but that wasn't the fault of the classes. My parents met my teachers. They like them, I like them too. My Geometry teacher told my parents I "am a bit shy, but we are working on her". Really? That's so unfair. Because, geometry teacher, you are definitely the first teacher in my nine years of school to have noticed this, right? it's weird. I woulda thought we could let shy people just live like normal people and do their thing, but no, they have to be tormented by every single person who thinks being quiet somehow makes you inferior. Fuck that.

Other than my 65%, Geometry's going well and we're due for a spontaneous little party on Monday for some reason. Except one day this week the teacher embarassed me so much, it was mortifying, and then I could barely feel my arms and legs if that makes sense. Science I spent most of the week completely lost, took a look at our quiz which I got into such a state about and went 'oh. this is it?". Spanish is great, we've been writing scripts all week and I'm totally the kid in the group who does nothing so it's fun. I talk to the girl next to me most of the time. it's sort of friendship I sometimes encounter where we feel similar enough that we're obligated to talk yet are both perfectly aware a true friendship will never occur. We play games and do quizzes. The classes are slow. We're doing stuff in past tense. It's only my third verb tense and it's freakin' exciting, man.

I had a mostly gym week. We're doing trust exercises, or something, and we're still in our class of 18 and it's fun most of the time. Sometimes I'm embarassed but it's okay. Friday we played a couple of older classes in a four-way dodgeball game and one of the classes were testosterone-fueled seniors who like to shout a lot. it wasn't really fair but it's the sort of game where you can get away with doing nothing.

Homework's easier but it still takes a while. Mostly I just get home, blast the Pretty Reckless cause I seem to think I'm that cool, and struggle my way through math problems until I eat dinner, read, practice instruments, attempt to blog, and sleep. It works.

To be honest, for the most part my outside school life at the moment consists of me watching Shooting Stars and eating Pot Noodle. I get the feeling that's vintage, but I'm not sure it really works.

Oh yeah, FYI, I'm doing NaNoWriMo this year. This is my second year. I did 40,000 words last year which was my goal and I succeeded although the story was basically a horrendous mashup of The Giver by Lois Lowry and what little meaning I extracted from reading 1984 as a thirteen-year-old. I really need to get planning at some point.

That My Chemical Romance song that I think is new and is called Na Na Na, or something, is quite spectacular. Even if you think you don't like MCR, please go listen. It puts Teenagers to shame.

Guess that's it, and yeah, I sound more tired than I am. Bye bye.

- Naomi

No comments:

Post a Comment