Friday, March 11, 2011

March 12th.



This guy is awesome. It doesn't get much better than that.

This weekend is going to be hell. I have a science test monday, which covers everything from the beginning of the semester(6 weeks ago) onwards, I have a science project due Monday that I haven't started, and I have a health project due Thursday that I haven't started. Add this to liberal amounts of La Roux and Star Wars and I'm in for a busy weekend.

The science test is going to be a massive disaster, because you know when you get a 99% on a quiz the following test is going to be catastrophically awful, thatt's just the way these things work. I'm going/being forced to go to the library Sunday to study with the girl who sits next to me. I never quite understood this mutual studying thing but hey, every little helps**. The health project is pretty basic--write a three page paper about myself, answer some questions, decorate + fill a paper bag with ten things that summarize me. Needless to say writing three pages all about me will be a walk in the park, sad how I could do that any day. The value statements are just about what makes me happy/sad and where I wanna be in five years time, all that usual Health stuff. (do you know how much bs I'm gonna have to stuff into this project? D'you think I could answer this stuff honestly? pfft, as if. Don't the teachers know that half the stuff we write in All About You projects is completely made up?). The paper bag element is more problematic. What does symbolize me, anyway?

(This week was the week of private school acceptance letters. The madness of this, which I despise and like to rant about at every oppurtunity, makes me feel so fucking Holden Caulfield it makes me sick. That's who I am, isn't it? I'm him. I'm the very stereotype I wish to avoid. I spend so much time going on about how kids are forced to know their career choices before they want to and how we're forced into privaye schools and looking good for collages, that my CV's literally just gonna read "catcher of small children before they fall over a cliff". SIGH.) I don't know why the last paragrapjh led to this, but it did. Private schools aren't even worth that much. If you're smart you're smart, wherever you go, and you'll get into a good college. Public schools suck, but private schools are just expensive, elitist, overrated public schools. I don't see the big deal. The ordeal makes me sad.

The science project is worst of all. My three partners need to keep their egos in check. Yesterday we were planning to meet up in the science room before school. The male person in our group was all too fast to declare that he'd have NO problem WHATSOEVER with showing up before school. So I show up and there are the other towo people. Okay. He never shows up. Is he such a narcissist that he literally thinks he's too good for the person he was yesterday? Is that the extent of his arrogance? Because it's pathetic. The other two girls in my group got to cleaning out their turtle tank which flooded and was then having a sort of lettuce overload, and thenpone of their boyfriends came(who is perfectly boring. I'd never seen him in real life before). Mornings on G days are usually reserved for sitting alone in the health room listening to music that I'm too embarassed to listen to at times when I'm with people who might hear and recognise the song. It's a valuable part of the day. And I lost that because of someone else's overly high self esteem. I was not very happy. And I'm not very happy with writing about glaciers for hours upon hours this weekend.

I really despise homework-heavy weekends. It always feels like I never left school and I have school for a whole fortnight which is awful. I look half-dead right now even though this week wasn't terribly bad.


The snow is melting here really fast. We had an amazing sunset today and I was able to go outside in a sweatshirt to take crappy photos and I wasn't even cold. It was an amazing moment. I cannot wait for spring...I miss wearing shorts even though I shouldn't. and spring music--the Kooks, yeah I'm gonna sink that low. Although Naive is a nice little song in my opinion. But I like Razorlight more. Don't kill me!

I'm not doing Lent but in health I have to give up something for a week. Yeah, like they're really gonna control my life that much. A friend suggested I give up coffee, because I don't drink coffee in the first place. So that's what I'm doing. Health isn't too bad actually, for health, you don't do anything. Health is good because it's not art--any project which is "limited only by your imagination" instantly gets my heart racing. I'm not a creative person. And don't all your artists start telling me that everyone's creative, because that's crap and I know it even if you don't. We're doing op art. I would've thought I could handle this because when I doodle everything's really geometic, I must draw like a hundred triangles every day for no reason to the point of hating triangles. But alas my brain can't even wake up enough for that I so opted for the People Who Aren't Artists choice, which is basically writing my name loads of times and stuff. It's awful, but there we go. I have art three times next week and I really, really don't want to go to school because of it. worst. class. of the day. not joking.

We watched a video about Marco Polo in World Civ for like two days and we didn't even finish it. Crappy movie but lovely timewaster, And Kublai Khan was white in this? Even though every other Asian person was portrayed by an Asian actor? That was really quite strange. Today we started talking about Feudalism--proud to say I don't care and don't know everything about it, though my class expected me to be a master. I wish people would know how much I don't like the royal family. Why do people assume I give my absolte obedience to them? I don't! If you think this then you're just ignorant, and yet this view 'round here is so, so common that it's scary. They don't know anything about the UK. We have real politics and stuff too, guys...it's not all earls and barrons(I don't even know what those are) and such. People in this country seem to be incapable of grasping the completel insignificance of the royal family in the UK. When the stuff about the royal wedding came out, all these womens magazines were gushing over it and I was like "wait, what? who's getting married?". I can give you a pretty good list of the history of the UK's monarchs off the top of my head, but that's my nerdy party trick, that doesn't mean I actually know about the royal family or feudalism or anything like that, god. People think we live in the middle ages, dead serious, and it's pathetic. It's good that my world civ teacher mentioned how the Family are just for ceremonial purposes, but still, some people think we're so backwater. Don't talk to me about your fucking democracy, cause it all comes from English stuff.(which comes from Greek stuff. BUT MY POINT REMAINS.) We're not so oldfashioned. Our political system's fucked up, but any American would tell me in a heartbeat that theirs is too. So just because we were once imperalists and we still have knights, doesn't mean we're behind. it's working okay for us, as it is for Belgium, Denmark, Luzemborg, the Netherlands, Norway, Spain, Sweden, and the other reaosnably developed constitutional monarchies, mkay? we're in the same boat whther you'd admit it or not. And also I don't pledge random allegience to my country.


AND while I'm into this orgy of ignorant anti-Americanism, there's this Facebook group that says "Japan gave us sushi, Germany gave us cars, Americans gave us the light bulb, and England...well, England gave us something to laugh at". Fuck you. Don't you know the rest of the world is laughing at you? And I'm sorry for the many decent Americans(and yes, there are many, many of them out there) for having to deal with these ignorant double digit IQ conservative wankers. Surely, you cannot look at what most people see as your culture, and think you come off well? Fast food, crappy TV, religious maniacs, the jury's still out on abortion, the death sentence is okay, homophobia, racism, sexism, gun-owning, ignorance, sensationalism? And that's totally okay, right? That's not totally laughable? We're far, far from perfect in about a billion ways, but this Brit is not claiming to hate an entire country. Not even this hell hole.

(PS, an Englishman invented the lightswitch. Good luck turning your lightbulb on without it, you dick).

(PPS, whenever Germany comes up in conversation for whatever reason, the word Nazi is fast to follow it. I've heard some seriously erroneous beleifs on Germany and Nazi-occupied Germany, and for some reason people seem to hate the country, and yet now they've decided they're awesome for this FB group.)

(PPPS, speaking of Japan, I saw a blog post the other day with these artsy pictures followed by "My heart is with Japan today". Fuck you too, you used a tragedy as an excuse to post Tumblr pictures to your blog, that's vile. Sad thing is, you're not the only one. I'm not claiming to go rushing out there right now to save everyone, or indeed to be taking any action at all. Call me cruel, but you're exactly the same, only difference being I'm honest about it.)

Where did that all come from? Jesus.

English was a nightmare this week--grammar test Wednesday, vocab test thursday, short story test Friday. what planet does my teacher live on? The first two were stresful but basically okay, whereas yesterday's was not a fun experience. It was pretty predictable, but the essay, oh the essay, was something else. First off, we read a story and we're given six literary devices and asked to explain three of them in relation to the story and it's theme. Dull stuff, but to be expected. But the last part, describe how these devices 'place this story in the short story genre'. Okay, hang on, last time I checked, there are two qualifacations to become a short story. One, you must be a story. Two, you must be short. WHAT ELSE IS THERE TO THAT? It has nothing to do with characterization, duh! God. Now she's gonna give me a C because she rambles on and on about how if we miss out a part of the prompt that the world is literally gonna explode, or something, but what was I supposed to write to that? All the other classes are reading Tale of Two Cities and stuff, ugh.

Oh yeah, my cousin's visiting next weekend. He's moved to Chicago in september. It'll be awkward but I don't see my family much, tiny as we are.

I'm being perfectly boring, but all I wanna do is sleep and watch TV and listen to Yann Tiersen. I apologize. But...goodnight.


**Speaking of that, someone in the cagereria the other day had a plastic Tescos bag. A PLASTIC TESCOS BAG. My mind was blown.

No comments:

Post a Comment