Tuesday, July 5, 2011

freelove on the freelove freeway.

the title is from an episode of the UK office. It's one of the most well-known bits now, I've discovered, and for good reason. I'd put some research into it if you don't know it already. It. Is. Gold. Also they did a studio version of it with Noel freaking Gallagher.

The Office is my obsession. I've watched all of season 1 multiple times, and I bought season 2 today and I'm already half way through it. And it's hilarious. And I'm preeeetty pissed at the whole Tim&Rachel thing, and Gareth never stops making me laugh. Though I will concede, the story of him methodically working through a set of Top Trump cards to work out the mathematically most successful cards is...both painfully, and laughably, familiar. But I was, what, 8 at the time? I'll cling to that subtle difference because it's one thing to compare your social ability to Mark Corrigan's; it is another entirely to compare it to Gareth Keenan's.

Also I'm gonna give the Office US a go for sure. And would it be two obsessive if I also bought the French, German, Quebecois, Brazilian, Chilean, and Israeli versions? These have all tempted me. Apparently the German one in particular is pretty awesome.

It is odd, having this much time on my hands. Summer's awesome but it feels like I forget everything. Here's what I do--I read, I go on the computer, I write, I play Animal Crossing, I play piano, I watch DVDs. Life of a loser indeed.

I've read a number of books this summer. Currently I'm working on The Pact by Jodi Picoult. This is my 3rd time reading her, I think she's awesome, don't be fooled by the shitty covers and bland synopses and the fact that she's sort of thrown in a heap with Nicholas Sparks and Sarah Dessen. Though her work is currently not getting too much of my attention, but that is probably because I just finished the Great Gatsby and I thought it was absolutely fantastic and everything else looks so bad in comparison. Why do I love the books I'm supposed to like but I can never get my head around Music I'm Supposed To Like? Onto the favorites list this goes, along with The Perks of Being A Wallflower and the Bell jar and The Color Purple and the like. Hmmm. Really though, fucking genius book. I relate to Nick far too much for my own good and I think it raises super interesting questions. I know I'm reading it next year in english but I've been meaning to read it for ages and if it turns out we read it in like May I simply cannot wait that long. I'm excited for the reread only because I see no way, this time round, that I could be the only one enjoying the story. It is not possible. But, then again, I will be a sophomore. When you become a sophomore, I swear your IQ points fly our your ears.

Oh yeah, great news, I'm seeing Kaiser Chiefs in September! Them and the National the week before woohoo, I love start-of-year gigs. Plus, seeing them at V, so all is good. Cannot wait for V, by the way. Eminem oh my god, I will die of joy at Love the Way You Lie. Also, KC will have the moshpit to end all moshpits and the Arctic Monkeys are just amazing in every single way, as I'm sure I've discussed before.


Today my sister had friends round. I've finally fallen victim to that ol' high school habbit of waking up at unreasonable hours so they were there when I woke up and I had to live as a shadow in the house. my mom ordered pizza and I ate it out of sight. God, how about that? So adolescent. Then I went to my piano lesson. The summer hours are great, there's usually this vocal student who belts out the same seven-minute power ballad about 'falling apart' every week and I cannot concentrate. Now we don't clash anymore! I'm trying to play Habanera from Carmen, with little success. I'm doing my 'fun songs' from an easy classics book. My piano teacher thinks I'm mad, thinks my mom's forcing me to play those. I know very little about classical, but I do know that I'd rather be playing that than, say, Keane, y'know? After my lesson I had dinner and watched the Office.

Yesterday, too, was fun. I picked raspberries and made them into raspberry crumble. I've never had raspberry crumble before, but I'm an all-round crumble fan so you can't go wrong. Hoping to make gooseberry fool soon. Oh this just makes me think of England(three weeks!)--my dad's side of the family are throwing a party for his 50th, and my grandparents make the best desserts conceivable. Plus, the whole lot are coming, bar I believe my one cousin in Chicago. I'm actually really excited. It's what's fun about your typical English family. Small and reserved and avoid confrontation like the plague. Runs like a dream.

I've yet to find Amelie on DVD. Or to find somewhere showing Submarine. Haha look at me talking like I know shit about movies. Or 'films' should I say for some indie cred. Now let's go mainstream. Deathly Hallows in less than two weeks, eh? How about that? Who's ready to wish a final fair well to their childhood. Not me. I was 5 when the first movie came out. I don't remember that, but I do very vividly remember seeing the 2nd. I'm not a huge Potter fan, and I was thinking earlier about how fucking ostentatious the whole 2nd half of Hallows is, and yet I'm still excited. Can't wait to talk about it.

On Saturday, I got Swiss bread at a market place in town and went for a walk around the woods. In case you're wondering, no, I do not know how Swiss bread differs from all the other kinds of breads. All I know is that it tastes amazing and they have it shaped as frogs. Sunday was similarly quiet, I went to the Jack Kerouac memorial in Lowell. I've never been before but I kinda love it. I've been meaning to read On The Road for a while, actually. This has given me just motivation. Also we went on a trolly around Lowell and to an art place. It was the 3rd so it was empty.

I love the 4th! I hope I don't somehow offend anyone by saying that, me being a Brit and all. Though I suppose it's all in good fun. On the 3rd I went to the fireworks display at school. I ended up with two friends and an acquaintance. it was funny, seeing so many cars and all the people splayed across the school field and also how different it is to school and how much less I miss school than I thought I would. Don't miss it at all! After all the cars hurried away, it was just me and these couple of friends and the smoke left from the fireworks(which were awesome, by the way) and it was great fun. Friends are the only thing I miss about school. On the actual 4th, I went into town cause it's fun to wander when it's empty, then I went into Boston for the fireworks. They were every bit as awesome as I remember them from last year. I'm an introvert who likes crowds, is that weird? The show was great and I love how you move as one giant group through the streets of Boston and how chaotic it is. Also, I like to listen to Tim Minchin's White Wine In The Sun on the 4th A.) Because it's a Christmas song haha and B.) Because it somehow sounds more beautiful on the 4th than any other day of the year. No idea why.

Such is my life of the last few days. Summer is going swimmingly and I hope to blog again soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment