Sunday, June 12, 2011

She's Thunderstorms.

it's Monday evening. I've still got science homework and an english essay to do, so I'll make this week's entry as brief as I can possibly manage.

Shitty weekend overall. The weather was awful and I've been doing homework the entire time. Six school days to go, can you believe it? I certainly can't. Next time I talk to you here, I'll be in full blown final studying mania. Not fun.

Two redeeming elements of the weekend. One, the final Doctor Who. I don't have the time for a full-blown list of every thought that went through my head(there were a ton of them) but I will say that I loved the episode and, while tumblr basically revealed everything that happened prior, I thought the twist was amazing and am in love with how Moffat writes things. One of the best episodes yet, and naturally, one of the most confusing as well. I am going to miss this show like crazy over summer, really. But at least this means I'm actually looking forward to September now, right? Right. Also, a couple of friends came round and we made Doctor Who themed t-shirts, tardis blue spray paint and all. I basically just copied the design of the tardis onto a tanktop and it looks shitty but it was so much fun. I loved that.

Second thing. The Perks of being a Wallflower by Stephen Cbosky. Oh. my. god. One of my new favorite books? Yes. My favorite YA novel ever? Totally. (though obviously the second one is not really a difficult thing to achieve in this day and age...but still, the book fucking rocks). As it's being made into a movie and it's pretty popular already, I guess it's likely you've read it, but if you haven't, you need to, because it's one of those books that kinda changes your life. In a cliched, contrived way. But still! I love it. So go read it.

I saw the Script on wednesday! It was, to be honest, a whole lot of fun. Plus, the venue was absolutely amazing. it was basically a huge tent, kinda like the dance tents you get at festivals, and all around it was just like a festival, with crappy food places and ice cream stands and what have you, but it was amazing too. except it's better than a festival, because at night when you look outside the tent, you see a fucking city. a city with awesome lights and everything. so that was gorgeous. Plus, I saw a handful of people from school there! Safety Suit opened, and they were terrible, and the next day at school I had to pretend they weren't terrible because my sort-of friend really likes them. And pretending they were good was very, very hard. The Script were fun though--they played Science and Faith, Before the Worst, Talk You Down, Break Even, the Man Who Can't be Moved(always amazing), Dead Man Walking, You Won't Feel A Thing, Nothing, We Cry, if You See Kay, Rusty Halo, and a few more from the new album that I'm not familiar with. It was a good night. Also since I'm so in love with the venue, I got tickets to see the National there in September. I'm excited!

Time for a school runthrough.

I have two art classes left to go, and then a final. Thank. God. I really do hate this class. I was an idiot when doing my course selection for next year, and I'm up for two art classes if I don't get into Chemistry. (chances of getting into Chemistry are minuscule). I have to opt out of one of those, or I will die. Or opt out of both--there's a second English course you can take, and it's not much fun, mostly just writing essays, but I think I'd take that over art. Plus, a bunch of people I like are taking the English thing. Whereas art could be anyone sophomore through junior, and I can just imagine being in a class which I despise. Anyway, point is the people at my table have exhausted about all opportunities for stupid conversations, and now it's just boiled down to the cycle of 1. Say you're bad at art 2. Have someone say you're not and 3. Repeat until the bell rings. I want to get this done as soon as possible...I am literally gonna rush through my last project, and what does it matter, according to my teacher nothing I do is okay anyway. No big deal. The final(which is Friday), is a written thing, I think, and my teacher didn't teach us a damn thing. Fun. It's lucky that Art is gonna be my first final, partly because it means I don't have to be properly awake at that point, and partly because I want to be done with this class ASAP.

Health! My teacher was pretty pissed that I'd missed my presentation slot, but it turned out okay as I just went on Tuesday instead. She was unreasonably impressed, mostly because of a few rare statistics, but it's not like the presentation was actually good. I got a 95%. Then on Thursday & Today we talked about sexual harassment, shitty high school movie from the 80s and all. Today was an interesting one, though, I guess. We were put into groups and asked to make a list of things that prevent sexual harassment, date rape, et cetera. Inevitably, the first idea to pop up was "well, don't dress like a whore" and, guess what, I held my fucking ground against that one. I mean, I almost always try to go with what I believe, but it's kind of hard in that situation, especially as I am not particularly familiar with either of the girls I was with. But I was all "no, that's victim blaming" and eventually our group never wrote that down cause of me. And, best thing is, one of the girls wasn't familiar with victim blaming and why it's bad, so I got to spread some knowledge on that front. Sadly the health teacher disagreed with me on this opinion, but oh well. I just wanna alter society for the better, you know. My final for health is midmorning on Friday. I'm not too worried about it. my final schedule turned out really nicely this semester.

The science test turned out well enough--an 89. After a slew of lukewarm grades on handouts and tests, I'm just hoping I can do well enough on the final to keep my grade an A. If I do that, I'll have all As this semester. The good thing is, we finished our final environmental project this week. Turned it in today. my portion was decent, and everyone else's looks good. She grades very easily on projects and what have you--we're about guaranteed a good grade. Apart from gym, this is my most hate class of the entire year, I really need to just get through biomes, cram for the final, and leave. I need to be done with it. We have a really complete study guide for the final, and we get to see the essay questions in advance. Also it's next monday, so I have the weekend to just study that. if I get an A on that, and at least a B on the final project, I'm guaranteed an A. I'm like an A minus at the moment, so really it isn't too much of a stretch. I need to make more of an effort for this last week, though.

it's good to know we're ending the year in World Civ with a really fun topic--the French Revolution! We started it last week, and I'm having a lot of fun with it, to be perfectly nerdily honest. We started with a movie, as always, which was good enough, and then we did the whole 'does the end justify the means' thing: a discussion which only serves to make me a bit angry. Nevertheless, I perservered through that, and then we began our final project. This is in place of a final, thank god, and I present it in my last ever freshman class, next Tuesday. I'm in a group of six. I'm basically with three decent guys who I don't know very well, one irritating dick, and one stupid, vapid idiot who went four days thinking we were working on the American Revolution, rather than the French one. (how can anyone even do that?) There's no information on what I need to find, and I'm about done anyway, so I get to read the entire time. This is my World Civ life through to Wednesday, I believe. I guess it's a good way to end this class.

In English, we absolutely raced through Romeo & Juliet. The packet questions can be answered in the before-chapter summary, and there's a key on the left side of the page that translates some of the harder sections, so I honestly don't properly read this book. That's a bit embarassing, I know. While she said we wouldn't act out big parts of it, we did spend massive chunks of time doing that, and I had to play Benvolio at one point. I honestly don't know what sort of things she expects us to find in this play. If we do an essay on this, I will cry. Oh, we spent a whole lot of time watching the movie of it, too. Basically, the last week has been something of a breeze. We reviewed grammar the entire time today, I worked on my own and listened to funny conversations. It was a very nice class. I have a portfolio thing due Wednesday, which I haven't really started, but after that the class will be easy. I liked the way this class worked; I will miss it. my final is on Friday...I just need to review grammar, get some meaning out of the books we've read via Sparknotes and Wikipedia, and then I'm done.

So, that's about it. Summer fever is kicking in, naturally. Though, being me, part of me doesn't want this year to end. I'll say it again: I'm a nostalgic mess. But then again...nowadays I DO just wanna play Animal Crossing, make a collage on my bedroom wall, and construct a summer mixtape for some person. So maybe I do want summer.

Still, I'm gonna miss a ton of stuff.

But then again...England in August, and maybe Niagara Falls in July, and July 4th and sunsets and warm weather and sleep. Hmm.

I have stuff to do. Night everyone.

No comments:

Post a Comment