Tuesday, December 27, 2011

Black Books and Christmas etc.

Merry belated Christmas to you all, said the predictable teenage blogger.   

 The next matter which, again, you could all foresee: the Stuff What I Got For Christmas list. It goes as follows—Alligator by the Natiional, Biophilia by Bjork, Annal Calvi’s self-titled album, Matilda the musical soundtrack, Either/Or by Elliott Smith, Black Sheep Boy by Okkervil River, Siamese Dream by Smashing Pumpkins, book about Sweeney Todd, piano sheet music (simplified Chopin yayayay), Sweeney Todd Broadway recording on DVD, the Inbetweeners Movie DVD, Mary Poppins DVD, Amadeus DVD, animated Alice in Wonderland DVD, journal, Edward Gorey book and calendar, Trivial Pursuit, Black Books on DVD, puzzles, chocolate, other smaller things. Am I spoiled? The only downside of Christmas is feeling that I am being given far too much stuff.

 In truth, the only thing I really wanted for Christmas, though everything else is absolutely great and I’m so pleased, was the Black Books  box set. I’ve, um, already got through season one. Super short British seasons but nevertheless. Words can’t describe how happy I was when I opened that present. It’s another additional to my British comedy obsession. I’d recommend it, but you’ve gotta understand that a.) it’s about ten years old now and not the sort of comedy you’d see nowadays, so you’ve gotta take that into account when judging it and b.) it is one of the weirdest shows you will ever see. It’s really, really, really good and I’m basically obsessed. I’m also reluctantly in love with the main character, Bernard. I say reluctantly because he’s a misanthropic, standoffish, self-absorbed, melodramatic, chain-smoking, binge-drinking, weird, reclusive kind of a person. He owns a failing book shop; he loves books and overlooked the fact that he’d have to interact with people in order to make the business a success. He’s either drunk, hung over, sulking, or asleep, basically. I also think he’s wonderful and oh how I wish this show had never ended, sigh sigh sigh.

 Everything else is much appreciated and has been keeping me occupied when I’m not fueling the Current Obsession. That National album? Good lord, that is a great record. The band have changed so much, you wouldn’t believe. And I thought the change between Boxer and High Violet was a big leap, wow. I think this music might be what you call Americana. Don’t quote me, but that is my impression so far. As far as I know I’ve never been interested in Americana before. I love getting into new types of music. They have a song on the album called Karen, which is forever stuck in my head. So far I’ve only listened to Bjork and Smashing pumpkins before. Bjork is very, very good although it’s easy to over-listen. Smashing Pumpkins is actually for 7th grade me, because that was when I first wanted Siamese Dream but my parents were convinced they had the record somewhere, and they just couldn’t find it. It took the reissued version to convince them to get it. It truly is a brilliant album. One of the best things of time off is being able to listen to so much more music than I can otherwise. As far the DVDs, I didn’t ask for all of them, also in regards to the Disney ones, I’m trying to watch everything I never saw when I was younger. Haven’t watched any of them yet (see: The Black Books obsession). I’ll probably watch the Inbetweeners soon, if my parents don’t consider it in too bad taste. Present wise, this has been an A+ Christmas.

 I always love the last day of school before Christmas. Free from any responsibility, I read Kerouac’s Dr. Sax for much of it. We watched a movie in English and my view was blocked by the boyfriend of the girl next to me sitting on the desk in front. He is not in our class, so I can’t say I understand why he’s there. The food we brought in for the math party it turns out was sufficient in quantity, thank god, although there were about a thousand cookies that no one ate. Again, reading and nothingness. Watched a video in 20th century. We have been given an assignment that is too time consuming over the break. Biology, we had coffee cupcakes and watched a video. School is over! Fuck school. I’m so tired.

 The run up of the last couple of days to Christmas was kinda weird. Like, crazy manic weird. We decorated, or overdecorated the house obsessively, made gingerbread, cut paper chains, put marzipan and icing on the cake, et cetera. Also, drove around to look at the lights. One street as absolutely covered in them; good thing they were raising money for a charity, as so many people were just driving down the tiny street to see them. It’s tradition to have baked potatoes on Christmas eve for us, so that too.

Christmas day I woke up with a headache and an inability to see. It was odd. We’re dogsitting for friends until January, which I don’t entirely approve of, but the dog arrived today so yeah. It snowed very slightly in the morning. We opened presents around mid day, which was fun, and listened to Led Zeppelin, and then we had lunch which was cool and then we watched Harry Potter and Black Books and played games. Fun Christmas, yeah! The next day, Boxing Day to us Brits, we went for a walk and it was very cold, and then we watched more DVDs, ate too much food again, did a puzzle, and played games.

 I just got back from seeing the second Sherlock Holmes movie. It was okay. None of my family thought the first one was particularly amazing so I don’t know why we went to this. The first was better, but the cinema was weirdly empty so it was good. I don’t really like the interpretation of Sherlock in the movies. I never understood the appeal of the BBC version of it either. I suppose Sherlock just isn’t for me. But I’ve been lazy as hell for the past few days so it’s good to get out of the house. We are listening to Bjork and the dog is sitting by my side. Her presence is sometimes pleasant, sometimes irritating. Overall, not bad.

 Christmas break is the best.

No comments:

Post a Comment