Monday, November 28, 2011

when I'm with you

hello



It took me forever to understand why everyone was so into Best Coast, but now i do, and I love this song.

It’s Monday and depressing as hell because I had the most perfect thanksgiving break I’ve ever had, and I slept so much. 12 hours a night. For this reason, I don’t suppose there’s an awful lot to report. I also wrote loads, caught up on Nanowrimo, which I pretty much cannot wait to end, listened to the yellow/green/blue Dear Hunter EPs a lot (all superior, astonishingly, to the black/red/orange record, which I loved). And I made a lot of english pancakes.

Was reminded on Thursday of both the good and bad aspects of being a non-Thanksgiving celebrator. First, like I’ve mentioned repeatedly, you feel isolated and everything’s all peaceful and strange. But you also realize that there’s kind of not a lot to do. I did go for a walk, it was very warm and I spent ages outside, which I haven’t got the chance to do in too long. Once that awful afternoon sluggishness goes away, it’s very very nice and I got to eat salmon and try to rewatch Dead Poets Society (I don’t know why—I don’t like it very much, but it’s just that sort of mood) while my dad sent electric drills through the front door for a good four hours. Yeah.

I didn’t go black Friday shopping. I never have, for all the reasons most people don’t go black Friday shopping, number one being oh my god all the people. All the crazy, manic people. And imagine being one of those few people who inevitably gets trampled to death during all of this? You just think you’re going out for a cheap iPad and that’s the last thing you do in your life? Morbid, slightly, but mostly just weird. At least, I didn’t go out shopping in the early hours of the morning. I did do so in the afternoon, I wanted to look at possible DVDs I could get for Christmas. I love watching movies on christmas day but at the moment I’m totally out of ideas. I’m not opposed to doing that teen Disney nostalgia thing where I ask for every single Disney movie I never watched or ‘got’ as I child, to be perfectly honest. But still, any other movie ideas are appreciated, if you’re willing to give any. I see pitifully few movies, so I’m basically up for anything. I feel stupidly obliged to watch some ‘classics’ more than anything else. If only I knew what those classics were. I rewatched Submarine a few days ago and anything similar would be appreciated. I went looking for the Submarine book a few days ago with no luck. Speaking of other movies, my favorite movie when I was about 8 was the musical version of Oliver Twist from the 60s. I was, uh, disappointed with how it shaped up now. I still really love a couple of the songs, but a great deal of it was very middle-of-the-road.

I was pretty miserable on Saturday, but I can't for the life of me remember why. One of those things. My dad made me go shopping for my mom’s birthday. He rushes through anything and I can never find anything good. It was fun in the evening, though. And the mall's just getting its Christmas vibes and everything seemed nice and warm. I got my mom a DVD. In the evening I watched Submarine (should start keeping track of how many times I do this) with some friends; it was their first time. For the most part, they seemed to like it. The following day I did all the homework I say I’d leave to do over the weekend, celebrated my mom’s birthday, and went shopping in the evening for candles with my mom, and drove around the town looking at christmas lights.

I’m still exhausted and today was nothing special, or good. I was given a book to read for English. It’s called A Lesson Before Dying, and it’s by Ernest Gaines. I don’t like very much so far. It sounds rather melodramatic, and I don’t find it very compelling to read. Shame. We also read a picture book, in pairs. I think my partner may hate me. The book was supposed to be about the dangers of conformity. It was called “The Bear That Wasn’t” and I didn’t know what to think. My teacher's a funny person. Have I mentioned she gives 20-minutes lectures on how she doesn’t talk much and wants to leave us to our own devices for most of the class? Yeah. Bio was awful, seeing as I feel asleep during a lecture and then had to participate in a group activity that involved blowing through a straw into a pink liquid which just happened to be an irritant. And the straw was about two inches long and I got the stuff all of me and, god, not pleasant. I also got the
highest grade on a math quiz and English quiz.

Two days of nanowrimo left and things are looking up. Also, I uploaded the Submarine soundtrack to my ipod, and it is perfect. Excuse the either frustratingly or refreshingly short post. I think I write too many lengthy posts here, but a couple of people have told me otherwise, god knows why. Anyway.

1 comment:

  1. ah, i love best coast. (:
    hope school & life is swell for you, naomi!

    ReplyDelete