Wednesday, November 23, 2011

days off for thanksgiving are the best

Hi everyone



Once you get over the fact that this song is ballad-like and that the singer has the most whiny, nasally voice of all of the whiny, nasally singers in indie bands of this ilk, this song’s a nice one.

Guys, guys, guess what? It’s Wednesday and the week is over! At fucking last. Woke up today feeling very sick (5-6 hours of sleep for about a month or so, I would imagine is the main factor) even though I didn’t have much homework yesterday and basically sat around watching old Peep Show episodes for a few hours and eating food and not caring in the slightest.

I love thanksgiving. I don’t celebrate it, since I’m not American, but I love it. I don’t really know why my family don’t celebrate thanksgiving cause we see fireworks on the 4th of July and stuff. Bit complicated to get together, I suppose. And the rest of the family is a couple thousand miles away. The good thing about not celebrating thanksgiving is that it gives you much more free time. While everyone else is travelling and eating and being lazy and doing whatever it is people do on thanksgiving(ooh such a mystery to me), I get to stay in my house all day and eat and be lazy, but to a lesser extent I suppose to the thanksgiving-celebrators. Also a lot of people complain of crazy families at this time of year, same with christmas, which I don’t have. At all. Ever. My extended family’s so small, anyway. Additionally, no one in this family is particularly concerned about getting in the car at four in the morning the next day in order to buy half a dozen plasma screen TVs or whatever it is you crazy people do on black Friday. I’m really not sure. Is my foreignness showing too much? I’ll reel myself in. Point is, although it more or less works as the latter bookmark to the much-appreciated loveliness that is autumn, it’s still a holiday that really fascinates me, and I really enjoy this week even without celebrating it. Plus, I totally cannot wait to show my love for Christmas wholeheartedly without looking manic and weird. Much appreciated.

Naturally, not an awful lot’s happened this week. I’ve taken an English test and my now my teacher’s brought out her specialty: a crappy low-budget sap story with minimal relevance to anything we’re doing in class. Guys, it’s about overcoming adversity against all the odds. Try as I like, I cannot both watch this film and not be judgmental.

My algebra teacher has been out for some days now and the entire class has taken up their favorite in-class hobby again: mocking her. She’s...difficult to like, at least the way she presents herself in class. Also she does things like tell kids in class they have cute dogs, and then continue with “wasn’t there a dog in your car this morning?” when they act totally baffled. When they say that no, they do not have a dog, she continues with “oh. Guess I was looking in the wrong car this morning”.

Over the weekend I had to write a few paragraphs from the perspective of a holocaust survivor. We had to share them in class a couple of days ago. This...is not an activity that sits well with me, for some reason. Especially the inane ways in which sharing partners are decided. I don’t really know why it’s of such great importance that we should share with someone of the opposite gender. I would have chosen someone of the same gender, yes, but as we’re not editing I don’t see the big deal. Silly teachers and their silly teaching things. Oh, and we did a debate! The day when we were planning, news had broken that our much-hated interim principal is getting rid of coffee machines. God, I make this sound important. But still, that was all people seemed capable of talking about that day, as opposed to the validity of atomic bombings. (if this caffeine purge happens, how will the teachers react? At the moment they’re picketing in the mornings for better teaching conditions and stuff. I’m awaiting the day their slogan changes to “Contract & Coffee Now”). Ahhh aren’t I just painfully unfunny. Whatever, the debate was just catastrophically awful, although somehow our side managed to cobble together a winning argument. He did that thing where for five minutes only the quiet people can talk. And did I talk? Guess. He will never wear me down.

There are times, rather more frequently than most expect, where I’m basically fine with high school. I mean, if you ignore things like group presentations , early mornings, overcrowded cafeterias, and those knee-high socks all the jock guys wear, going there most days is fairly painless. However, one day a year I’m reminded of the existence of pep rallies. Certainly I’m always aware of pep rallies, it’s just easy to allow them not to feel real every other day of the year. And then you go to one and it’s as if when, at that point where you considered skipping the pep rally and you asked yourself ‘how bad can it be?”, that all the forces of darkness in the world combined their efforts to create the single most painful 90 minutes you’re sure to experience in a very long time. Is there a single person, cheerleaders and football players included, who feels any semblance of happiness from these things? I don’t know if this is customary for all high school pep rallies, but at our school there’s one crazy old lady in a clown costume who I’ve never seen anywhere else before going around shouting at people to plug in the fucking inflatable animals; she’s pretty into it. For everyone else, it’s another wasted period of time where the only things you can think about are about how unnecessarily loud the crappy school band are and how you really wished you’d just got the nerve to skip the damn thing. This year we even had pie-eating competitions and failed dance routines! Oh, it was a train wreck. I feel like when we warn incoming freshman against things like being scared and wearing their backpacks too high, we should mention pep rallies with similar warning. That or we let them suffer. I don’t mind.

Tonight I’m going to go to my friend’s house and watch American Horror Story. And, uh, that’s it. I look forward to sleeping a lot over the course of the next few days.

No comments:

Post a Comment