Saturday, May 21, 2011

So, Great Week.

I've had the most amazing few days, it's been brilliant. Though, I have been sleep deprived even by my sleep deprived standards. Urge to resist becoming the 'neurotic sleep deprived coffee-addicted freshman' stereotype fleeting fast.


Let's begin with today. After ten hours of sleep. First things first, amazing weather for the first time in forever. Sometimes lately I wake up and think it's March. Can't wait to wear shorts again soon. Sort of. Was reading for most of the afternoon, staying outside, then went to the mall. There's something so glorious about red shorts. And sort of burned orange shorts, too. Yay, shorts. Plus, I finally found the Sweeney Todd movie soundtrack in FYE, which I've been looking for for ages. I listened to it all afternoon, can't wait to obsessively listen to A Little Priest, there's something so pleasing about the idea of, like, being in public listening to a song about cannibalism, while everyone else around you is none the wiser. Stephen Sondheim is brilliant. I'm trying to learn some of the easy piano versions of some stuff I got for my birthday, particularly Pretty Women. One of my favorites. and I'm listening to more of the Sweeney Todd Broadway stuff...so good. Came home, was reading again, and had a piano recital(which I don't believe I've mentioned very much?) in the evening. Was surprisingly very calm though was struck with a huge headache, but I somehow worked my way through my piece. The place was filled with the usual set of eight year old child prodigies, and kids in Gap dresses with camera-waving over zealous mothers, and me. Apparently I made up for the relative simplicity of my piece with 'dynamics', but who knows. This is questionable. I had to perform in flats--ugh, I might as well perform in flip flops for all the trouble they've caused me. But oh oh oh, some guy played a piece from Amelie. Amelie. Yann Tiersen, fuck yes. He was sososo good, and the piece is gorgeous. On top of this and getting to play in this huge, magnificent, Gothic library, I got to play on an effing Steinway grand piano...I might just have to organize a sort of gang of friends to help me steal that piano, because I simply cannot return to my upright after that amazing experience. Grand pianos make my life. My mom says that maybe in a couple years, we could get a grand...just have to get good at piano first, I suppose. I would do it, for a grand.

Tomorrow is a sleep day, homework, et cetera.

Friday. Get home from school, get to go to said library to practice quickly on aforementioned piano that is the epitome of beauty in musical instruments. Had to practice in the shoes, and there's something entertaining in how they didn't match with old jeans and an Arctic Monkeys t-shirt. A piano teacher I don't know said I played beautifully, so good. Quickly come home, and went to travelling fair thing that comes to my town for two days every year. This is always an interesting, and sometimes fun, experience, though most of it is spent running around looking for lost friends rather than doing anything. I don't go on rides, so this works for me. I was much happier with this year's than I expected. I hung around with the usual groups of people, waited for them in lines, threw around someone's shoe for the hell of it...that experience ended up being almost violent, then had to look for someone's 'favorite lip gloss' in the dark. I always associate big nighttime events, such as this, with a slight feeling of sadness, even when I'm at my happiest. It's hard to describe. For the first time this year, I feel as if my freshman year is about to end...even with a month to go. Do you have any idea just how fast(how...too fast) this year has gone? I have a problem with being scared of the future, thus this is not good. I observed last night, just how many people I talked to who I didn't know in middle school. That kick started this nostalgia thing. So many good people, so many more than last year, wow. It's a weird, contrived sense of unity that probably doesn't exist in reality. No one else senses that. And I'm both shy and introverted, what do I know about the social networks of my grade? Nothing, that's what. So I'm ignorant of it, so what? I hated 6th grade, I wasn't a big fan of 7th grade, I loathed 8th grade, I hated all but about five people, at the best of times, who I was with in middle school. Even with all its separate issues, mainly concerning sleeping patterns, high school is such a step up from that. 'The best four years of my life' I certainly hope it is not, but the worst, it has not been so far. So...in between the loud Katy Perry songs, the friends, texting, people basically attacking one friend, meeting new people, talking to people I haven't talked to in ages, screaming people on rides, being cold, running around, darkness, and watching as two policemen casually ignored the weed-smoking teenagers ten feet off, this is what this night did to me. Why am I such a sentimental mess.

Thursday was good too--Arctic Monkeys concert! It was interesting to note that there was a basebell game beginning and ending at exactly the same time, and as Fenway is right next to the venue, getting in and out was a nightmare. For the first time, I really observed the extent to which some people will go for this. Never a phenomenon I have understood with sports, and never a phenomenon I will understand with the Red Sox in particular. It was me, my family, and some shy indie kids, waiting in line outside the gig while hordes of screaming drunk, red-capped lunatics ran past down the street. One feels truly alienated because this is Massachusetts culture at its most stereotyped(and, er, most true) form, yes? Anyway, it was the usual venue, and the Vaccines were supporting so I got to check out the hype around them. They always blurred into the usual oasis-wannabee bands that crop up on the NME regularly. They were alright. Post Break up Sex is a good song, but everything else...eh. Maybe it would've been cool in 2006. Anyway, 2nd time seeing the Arctics, last time they were less than dynamic, but someone fell on me and I blacked out for a couple of moments. The crowd was, dare I say, even more crazy this time round, and I was further away, so much so that I could barely see Alex(it is crucial that I see Alex. Crucial.) but no matter. They opened with something from Suck It And See(comes out in June.), then did The View From The Afternoon(headbanging, woah), Brianstorm(amaaaaazing), This House Is A Circus, Don't Sit Down Cause I've Moved Your Chair, Teddy Picker, Crying Lightning, I Bet You Look Good on the Dancefloor, Potion Approaching, Brick by Brick(*eyetwitch*), If You Were There Beware, Do Me A Favour, and Cornerstone. Encore was Pretty Visitors, another Suck It And See song, and the brilliant Fluorescent Adolescent. They were surprisingly more energetic this time, though they were having drum issues and Alex remains both annoyingly and adorably shy. Those were all good songs live. They played a few more new songs, sad to say they all sound fairly tame, and in particular I miss Alex's old lyrical style so much. Listen to Whatever People Say I Am That's What I'm Not, and tell me that those words coming from a seventeen year old aren't brilliant. I dare you. Now it's so, like, bland. Can someone please, please, please, for the love of humanity keep Josh Homme away from all future Arctic Monkeys records? Because I do not want California surf pop on my Arctic Monkeys record. I'm sorry, I just don't. At least Alex had the sense to cut his hair, otherwise all hope would truly be lost. Regardless, I'm still looking forward to the record, and the concert was really good and I'm so excited to see them again in August.

Listening to them and Man Orch and Elbow lately.

So, school.

Art has proved to be beyond frustrating and boring, so I've taken to doing my homework instead of doing any work. my piece looks terrible. Next I have to paint a picture of my house. Fun.

Health, not very interesting, talking about birth control(*yawn*). It's funny how the health teachers here all think they're so liberal because they talk about condoms and whatever, but secretly they're uber conservative and they're actually reluctant to talk about birth control and just want everyone to stay virgins forever. On Thursday we had to design a 'perfect partner'(a bit personal, no?). I don't see any purpose for this. My only input was voting on hair and eye color. it doesn't bare thinking about, the activity that has been planned for this. Also, I totally need to get started on my health project.



Science began the week with an test. An 88, hmmm, better than average so I'm happy enough. I didn't study for as long as some, though, so that's ok. Now we're doing evolution, which I don't know enough about. I got my science project back, I got an 82, because my poster didn't look pretty, but how can you make a poster about 20th century biologists look good? I don't understand. I have to go outside tomorrow.

world Civ, watched videos for most of the week, most of them very dull indeed, talked about colonists, now constructing a sort of English village going into the industrial revolution. A good time for homework.

English, finally finished Tale of Two Cities and I must say, I liked it a lot. We did that and grammar and analysis all week, then watched some of the movie on Thursday...which was average at best. Ah well. Did another couple of fishbowls, finally got 100% on at least one, so I suppose I'm improving. My teacher was out Friday, so we watched the movie the entire time! Bliss.



Doctor Who. Weird but good this week. Had a bad headache so didn't pay as much attention as I would've liked. Interesting idea. My only other comment is this: yay, Rory, congrats on not dying.

Anyway, I've gotta write about whether pre marital sex is okay, so goodnight.

No comments:

Post a Comment