Tuesday, October 25, 2011

i was playing a tree trunk in a forest of fools



Gorky's Zygotic Mynci were a Welsh Britpop band from the 90s who never got as much recognition as they deserved. I assume this is the case because they incorporated mariachi brass into their music and they sang about things like playing a tree trunk in a forest of fools and joining a Spanish dance troupe because the British summer weather was shitty. I think this band discovery gets me all the indie cred.

Not the best weekend ever. It’s one of those weekends that you think is going to be good, and then it isn’t, and you feel disappointed and sad and just end up compounding the error. Hanging out with friends on Saturday was a plan that unfortunately fell apart, and so me and my mom went looking for stuff for my Halloween costume instead. I don’t know that I’ve mentioned this before, I probably have, but whatever I’m being Mrs. Lovett from Sweeney Todd. She has a pretty generic witchy thing going on, but I’m all up for it. I really love Victorian clothes, men and women’s, especially men’s, which unfortunately will never be acceptable for me to wear, so dresses and stuff will suffice. I sort of like the idea of spending the night as an Edward Gorey character a lot. Also, I just love all things Sweeney Todd. Apparently stuff of this sort was vaguely popular in the 70s or 80s or something, says my mom, ‘cause I already have these black heels which are perfect and lacey gloves thanks to her. I need red/black tights and a dress(a dress! When did I last wear a dress?!). Also the character choice means I’ll probably need to take a stab at—horror of horrors—eye makeup, which I don’t ever wear. Still not sure about that. I love Halloween and I’ve always revelled in dressing up, and also just for looking for the pieces of a costume. I mean, if you just walk into Spencers’ and grab a sexy bunny outfit or something, whatever, up to you and I really don’t mind, but I just think half the fun of the whole event is looking through multiple places and taking individual things and watching the whole thing form piece by piece. It’s a sort of halloween passion that I don’t think many people invest in over the age of eleven or so, isn’t it? Ah well, it’s fun all the same. Apart from all the crappy halloween stores we tried, just in case, you know, and they were awful and these were Gryffindor scalves and black lipstick everywhere and, ugh. Hyper judgemental? Yes. But still!

I think I spent most of the weekend watching loads and loads of the Inbetweeners and I started reading A Hundred Years Of Solitude by Gabriel Garcia Marquez, which so far is quite enjoyable but also weird and slightly difficult to follow. And oh, Sunday? Mom showed me this part of a forest round here I’d never been to before, it’s amazing. For whatever reason my mom knows the nature walks round here inside –out, and believe me there is an awful lot of them. It’s...impressive? Helps with things like this.

Otherwise, I spent much of the weekend working on a bio project. It didn’t take an overly long time, not like that macromolecule project which, my god, was awful, and the info was fairly accessible. All we really had to do was create an info sheet and write a case study. I’m getting no points for aesthetics in the info sheet but the information’s there, albeit in a kind of waffly, long-winded fashion. Think I overdid it on the case study. I’m prone to either overdoing or violently undergoing projects. It was two pages long single spaced and it didn’t even make a hell of a lot of sense. Later in the week, we’re supposedly doing an activity where we use these info sheets and case studies to assign diseases. Or something. I don’t know, it sounds like the sort of thing a lot of teachers say they’ll do but never actually get around to working on. Again, we’ve been working with the microscopes(still nothing broken on my behalf, thank god) and today I looked at onion cells and my own cheek cells stained blue and it was neat. I have a quiz tomorrow on cell organelles and I know nothing about ‘em.

And, tonight is he big day with that research paper. It’s due tomorrow and I’m so screwed if I think I’ll actually have any free time tonight. So far it’s about ten pages long, I think, and I’ve edited something like three of these. And, I repeat, it’s due tomorrow. I procrastinate, but this is bad even by my standards. My teacher’s being very particular vis-à-vis citations and stuff, and just going through all of that nonsense is very much taking the majority of my time. It’s not going to be very good, but it might be adequate if I just don’t sleep tonight. The ‘just don’t sleep’ route is one I seem to favor a lot at the moment, as I’ve mentioned repeatedly.

We’re just about finishing Gatsby in English, and we have a test tomorrow. We started watching the movie a bit, too, the one from the 70s. And we watch movies an awful lot in that class so it’s the sort of thing I’ve become kind of desensitized to, and this movie I thought was patchy, not that I’m any expert on movies. Speaking of films, I watched Dead Poets Society for the first time a couple of days ago. I’d heard loads about it, so I ordered it, and then I watched it and kind of really, really didn’t like it? I’m just saying, I was surprised, given its popularity(if not critical acclaim). It felt pompous and dull and, my god, that teacher. He’s the worst kind of teacher! Why does nobody see that? If I was the kid who never said anything which, let’s face it, I pretty much am, I was thinking I’d get that teacher guy fired for fucking physically holding me in front of the class and making me talk? Cause it's humiliating and um, counts as harassment? And somehow that guy’s behavior is celebrated. Probably explains why so many teachers are so fucking terrible. The attitude to teaching is just all wrong.

Okay, I’ve essay-editing to do, bye for now.

No comments:

Post a Comment