Sunday, September 25, 2011

this song is like an 80s movie



guys

this song

it's like every 80s teen movie thrown in a blender and made into a song. excuse me for thinking it's brilliant. and for writing like this is tumblr.

so, uh, school. my life. what's been happening. I can't really summarize the whole thing in a cohesive manner.

We're reading Hemingway in English which is...kind of okay. It's war stories. I have no taste in books! Let's embrace it! I spent the first week of school lost in On The Road and everything's seemed so dull since. Everything about me is an affection, eh? Again, let's skip round this point and pretend I've got anything to say. it takes a lot to interest me in a war story, and not even Hemingway has that power, generally. I wanna read his other stuff, though, cause it just seems like the sort of thing you should read, you know? However, I'm kind of okay with all of that nonsense because the class is a literary wasteland as it is. the inane teaching style continues! We're forced to write poetry about these stories. Forced to write poetry. This is something that should never, ever happen. Like, ever. Nothing good ever comes out of forced group poetry-writing sessions, and the teacher knows it. However, she does seem irritatingly willing to display this train wreck AB-rhyme scheme poetry all across the room. other than covering up the walls, which are a shade of blue reminiscent of bad bathroom design, I don't see where she's coming from on this. Oh, we draw pictures too. Despite my teacher's hope that she can suck some creativity out of before the school's collective 9:30 caffeine buzz sets in, the result is usually forty five-minute long discussions about anything else. When we get to chose our own groups, the results are usually good; I end up with two girls I sort of know and am sort of ambivalent about, and most of their discussions revolve about how 'Asian' their families are, and I nod and smile at that. And I can usually read and whatever at these times. When we don't get to choose our groups, the result is a highly tedious class filled with occasional awkward almost-conversations with people I don't know. The people around me get to class early, and are a curiously comical bunch, in a really contrived way. Think Friends. Yeah. At least, that's how they see themselves. Sigh. Luckily, we're reading Gatsby soon(finallyfinallyfinally though it's only been like three weeks) which might just be the pinnacle of my year.
Algebra is usually filled with sly, sarcastic comments on the part of everyone around me, but the teacher gives us breaks and I can read. My parents, after open house, dew scribed my teacher as 'extremely weird'. My teacher has mistakenly given me a 100.0 average in that class.
and the pseudo-politicized debates rage on in 20th century history. The focus seems more to be on current affairs than the actual 20th century. For all I hear(and ignore) politics at school and what have you, it seems very few people actually walk the walk about this stuff. the whole class tests the limits of my teacher's knowledge. Unlike most history teachers and their beliefs, who I've rarely had good experiences with, he's actually okay at not being completely biased. We're supposed to have an actual debate soon. And, we're switching seats on Monday. Maybe I won't get stuck sitting next to a bigoted, stupid person who never shuts up and shows up to class twenty minutes late to class every day and thinks it makes her look all out-there to the teacher. and maybe we'll move on from the fucking economy one of these days, because this is pretty much the only area of politics where I can summon absolutely no interest and the extended discussions about it are surely killing me.
then in bio, we do labs and talk and proteins, and I'm struck by a niggling paranoia that everyone in there hates me. no matter, I suppose. I got an above average score on a test so all is well.
At the beginning of the school year, I always react weirdly to everyone around me. I don't do camp or anything much in the summer, so I'm not very social. I'm definitely an introvert, so this works out nicely. I'm not the most introverted person you'll ever meet or any ting, but I'm definitely sort of uncommonly introverted, I would say. at least based on how people behave at school. This I reckon is the reason why, when I'm thrown back into this highly social environment, it can be sort of startling and bewildering for me. Sometimes I really rather like having people around me(granted, it's sometimes in a sort of Dean Moriarty-like way, which is shameful, but I digress), and other times I can sort of panic and all of a sudden I decide to live my life as a recluse in rural England and nevereverever see anyone ever again. I'm always at one end of the spectrum or the other, and until I can become accustomed to it again, which can take up to two months, I can go through these horrible cycles. It's...irritating. It characterizes autumn, and the beginning of school is usually cool, but it's iterating all the same. it's the main, melodramatic point of general annoyance for me at the moment. Fucking leave me alone sometimes, people.
I saw Bill Bailey recently. He's a music comedian dude. He's no Tim Minchin, but he's very smart and funny and interesting. The venue didn't sell out so our seats got upgraded! We were ten feet away! His show was sort of weird combination of a lot of topics, but it was very good so I would highly recommend it. And then it was this sort of fair thing in the center of town recently, and the stalls weren't very good buI i saw a bunch of my friends do their Show Choir thing so that was fun. We hung out downtown, then I got a bagel and a Coolata, and came home. They had music, weird Beatles cover bands and folk groups and that sort of thing. I don't like seeing people I vaguely know outside of school, but remarkably managed to tolerate it that day. also, there were puppies.
My favorite things at the moment are the Thick of It, the Inbetweeners, Kerouac, Fantasia, the National, and I'm in a weird phase where I just wanna listen to Nirvana's In Utero constantly. Man, I hadn't listened to that album in three years. It's an amazing record. Autumn's almost here! I went to a Greek festival one weekend, but all the other weekends I just watch TV and read and buy books and watch Doctor Who and hang out with friends and put off all homework until Sunday night.
That is all for now.

No comments:

Post a Comment