Thursday, August 11, 2011

singing a reckless serenade.

Hey! All. Same old, same old. Flicking through a new NME and listening to Manchester Orchestra. The Nme is not something I could deal with on a regular basis. I'm reading a bunch of bullshit punk affectations about the Clash and Ramones and Sex Pistols. Yawn. It's fun in the summer, though. Anything goes in the name of summer. Stupid...summer.

Another day met with drizzle and a grey sky. I've become one of those people who desperately clings to the fallacy that August equals shorts and a t-shirt, regardless of the weather of the particular day. I'm afraid I'm too used to bitter, horrible New England winters not to leap at any chance of summer attire whenever I can get it. Today, we went to Monkey World. It's a zoo, with just monkeys. I've decided that I really don't like zoos. Just something about having hordes of people gawp at animals seems funny too me. Also, I'm not a big animal person--there's undoubtedly an element of that there. Nor do I like people! Hey, it all makes sense. I basically put up with the animals and the rain for five hours, also I had a hot chocolate so all was well. But still, it's a day of putting up with--gasp--people in public. Oh well.


On Monday, we got our stuff together and drove to my grandparents on my dad's side. Grr, driving days, never fun. However, I did get to go down to the beach(again!) in the morning. The water was an unnerving shade of brown and it was cold but, hey, low tide! Low tide's the coolest. This place is one of my favorite beaches I've been to so it was great. Also, got to listen to some crappy pop radio. The drive was surprisingly, not too bad. A couple of hours getting to my grandparents house. Then, dinner and the usual social niceties in the evening. (It's funny hearing "Oh! Haven't you grown?!" when I in fact am definitely no longer growing). So, yes. That was fine.


On Tuesday morning, I had to wake up early in order to drive for an hour to pick up my dad from the train station. He just flew over the night before. More social niceties followed, and then we went into town for a little while. Unfortunately, they didn't have an HMV, which makes me extremely sad indeed. There's so much stuff I need to buy there! I was dragged through, of all places, Boots.


On Wednesday, we want to a sort of park round here where loads of swans...hang out, for lack of a better expression right now. Again, I'm not into animals so the place wasn't really my cup of tea. Also, my god it was cold. So we went there and then we went to some tropical gardens, where I've been to once for an Easter hunt some ten years ago. Unfortunately I had a very severe allergic reaction this time round, which is such a shame because the gardens were so lovely. So generally, yeah, not the world's greatest day, but I'll survive.

So it turns out I haven't done very much for the past couple days. Huh. A break is good I suppose. I should start doing notes from my summer reading book, but I doubt that'll happen till the last week in August.


My grandparents are nice and all, but there are a number of issues that seem to arise whenever we're around. One, my sister is a total show off. She spends every other week of the year slumped over her laptop, talking on Skype with her friends and watching crappy youtube videos. She has no hobbies, no other interests, and she complains a lot. Nothing wrong with that I suppose, but she acts otherwise whenever where here. She plays chess, she goes for walks, she talks to people, she wakes up early. And while I'm far from being a competent human being either, I suddenly look like the boring sister who doesn't do anything with her life. Goddammit I've tried to look like a decent human being but it just doesn't work. I've even tried watching the news with my grandparents and making sure people are in the room when I wanna read Plath. No avail. Sigh. I always feel so useless and pathetic whenever I'm here, it makes everything so tough. Additionally, the fact that I have no idea what I want to major in or do in the future seems to trouble my grandparents considerably. everyone's very sciencey on this side of the family and I'm neither very sciencey not very artsy, just kind of in the middle, and expectations are high and it all just gets highly stressful. We're having a family get-together in a couple days and it'll all kick off, and I will hate it. Jesus Christ, why is it expected that people plan out their lives like the moment they're out of the womb? It just seems absolutely insane to me. I'll be no better next year or the year after that, and it'll just get more and more heated to the point where I'll end up telling them I wanna be a prostitute or something. They're nice people, but everything is so, so intense.


Haven't had as much time for reading + music. V soon, excitement ever increasing.


Hey, short post.


Bye, everyone!

No comments:

Post a Comment